- A Flock Named Murder: An Appointed Time – 2018
- Iomair: Iomair – 2018
- Völur: Psychopomp EP – 2017
- Thantifaxath: Void Masquerading As Matter – 2017
- Völur: Ancestors – 2017
- Public Animal: Palace Arms – 2016
- Bobby Dove: Thunderchild – 2016
- The Jessica Stuart Few: The Passage – 2016
- Fresh Snow: One – 2016
- Völur: Disir Reissue – 2016
- Völur: Breaker of Oaths 10″ single – 2015
- Trent Severn: Trillium – 2015
- The Boxcar Boys: Cicada Ball – 2015
- Fresh Snow: WON – 2015
- Del Bel: del bel – 2015
- Blood Ceremony: Drawing Down The Moon/Loving You – 2014
- Redsteps: Redsteps – 2014
- Völur: Disir – 2014
- Fresh Snow: I – 2013
- Beams: Just Rivers – 2013
- Flowers of Hell: Odes – 2013
- Aidan Baker: Already Drowning – 2013
- Do Make Say Think: Spirit of Talk Talk – 2013
- Jay Aymar: Overtime – 2012
- Robbie Patterson: Slow Walker – 2012
- Trent Severn: Trent Severn – 2012
- The Boxcar Boys: Rye Whiskey – 2012
- Del Bel: Oneiric – 2011
- The Boxcar Boys: Don’t Be Blue – 2011
- Kirsten Scholte: What I Have Is All I Need – 2010
- Emilie Mover: Seems So Long – 2010
- The Rucksack Willies: Letter To Anne – 2010
- The Long Haul: The Long Haul – 2009
- The Flowers of Hell: “O” – 2009
- The O’ Darling: The O’Darling – 2009
- Aidan Baker: Liminoid/Lifeforms – 2008
- Dayna Manning: Folkyo – 2006
- Hope, Your Shattered Envy: H,YSE – 2006
Film, Television and Commercial Scores
- Octavio Is Dead — 2018 directed by Sook-Yin Lee, composed an original piece and performed in the film. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLzPTom7YQ)
- Braven — 2018 a feature film starring Jason Momoa (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAWLd-ygq4)
- Lincon Car Commercial, filmed in Virtual Reality — 2016 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJe4mfuqZcc)
- Jason Momoa | Canvas of My Life by Carhartt Handmade Films — 2016 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL7SobTAnuQ&t=1s)
- Hurt — 2015 (http://tiff.net/festivals/festival15/platform/hurt)
- The Polar Sea — 2015 (http://tvo.org/story/polar-sea-unprecedented-look-northwest-passage)
- Road to Paloma — 2014 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2386285)
- Black Velvet — 2011 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1721674/combined)
Selected Press & Interviews
“Laura C. Bates’ chilling violin work had me paralyzed in fear, with the rhythm section just killing it behind her — is testament to how well the combo works, and how fresh it is to hear.” MetalSucks, The Best Of Prophecy Fest, August 2016
Cinematic and self-possessed, they offered up Wagnerian bombast stripped down and filtered through wild pagan folk and thunderous doom. If you’ve never seen a crowd full of leather and spikes headbanging to a violin lead, you’ve never seen Völur. Vice Noisey, Germany’s Prophecy Festival, August 2016
“Bates, an emerging violinist, is in demand for her ease in crossing musical genres.”
MacLeans Magazine, Singing the Brian Mulroney Blues, March 2013
“Vocalist and violinist Laura C. Bates’s voice is endlessly changeable, suggesting in one track, for example, a deadly seductress and in another, a mystical crone.”
Torontoist, Sound Advice: Disir by Völur, May 2014
“Laura C. Bates, is a young musical prodigy who’s quickly earning a name for herself in the music biz as a first rate fiddle player and singer.”
The Spill Magazine, Trent Severn Live At The Dakota Tavern, November 2012
“With the pure resonance of a six-string violin piercing through the heaviness, enhancing it, intertwining with the commanding riffs and controlled drumming, they had me hooked.”
Hellbound.ca, live review of Völur April 2014
“The sold out crowd was treated with a new song North Star including a long and booming instrumental section that really showed off Laura C. Bates’ impressive gift with the violin.”
The Beat Magazine, Sold Out London Music Club Show November 2012
Terry O’Reilly, CBC Radio national arts program Q, 2012
Andy Frank, Roots Music Canada, 2013
Lou Reed, praises ‘Odes’ by Flowers Of Hell on New York Shuffle radio show on BBC, 2013
- Performed solo original works as a guest musician for The Moth at Massey Hall
- First Canadian band to perform at Prophecy Fest, German metal festival.
- Performed with Ed Sheeran (2015) and Tyler Shaw (2018) at the Much Music Video Awards.
- Sang the national anthem on Parliament Hill for Canadian flag raising, Canada Day 2013.
- Performed with Col. Chris Hadfield for his first earthly performance of Space Oddity.
- Played and was interviewed on CBC Radio’s national arts program Q 2012.
- Festival Performances including: TD Toronto Jazz Fest, Beaches International Jazz Fest, Halifax Jazz Festival, Hillside, Mariposa, Home County, Blue Skies, Summerfolk, Shelter Valley, Blissfest, Northern Lights Festival Boréal, Ottawa Folk Festival, NXNE, CMW, Savour Stratford, Canadian Folk Music Awards, Electric Eclectics, Wavelength, SpringWorks, Vancouver Island Music Fest, Goderich Celtic Roots Festival, Stratford Summer Music, Briefcasefest, WayHome Music & Arts Festival, Guelph Dance Festival.
- Performed at: Massey Hall, CBC Vancouver, West End Cultural Centre, The National Arts Centre, Toronto’s Glenn Gould Studio, Roy Thompson Hall, Koerner Hall, The Living Arts Centre, The Canadian Country Music Awards, Much Music Video Awards, Christie Pits Film Festival and on Canada’s Got Talent.
Awards & Nominations
- SOCAN Songwriting Prize – nominee for In My Solitude by Del Bel 2015
- Fresh Snow I : Polaris Music Prize Long List 2014
- Included in Decibel Magazine Top 40 Metal Albums of 2014
- Trent Severn Trent Severn – Canadian Folk Music Awards nominee for Vocal Group Of The Year 2013
- Trent Severn Trent Severn – Canadian Folk Music Awards nominee for New/Emerging Artist Of The Year 2013
- The Boxcar Boys Rye Whiskey – Canadian Folk Music Awards nominee for Instrumental Group Of The Year 2013
- The Boxcar Boys Don’t Be Blue – Best Canadian Jazz 2011 Ejazznews
- 2011 Graduate, Humber College School of Creative and Performing Arts. First violinist to complete a Bachelor of Applied Music (Jazz and Contemporary Music).
- 2010 Completed teacher’s training seminar for Mark O’Connor’s Violin Method in New York City. One of three Canadians qualified to teach this revolutionary string method.
- 2004 Humber College School of Creative and Performing Arts. Certificate in Jazz and Commercial Music. The first violinist to receive this certificate.
- 2002 Grade 8 Royal Conservatory of Music piano and Grade 2 Theory examinations (classical).